Jobs - Full-Time
There are no full-time jobs available at this time.
Jobs - Part-Time
First Person InterpretersSummary
The Bostonian Society is looking for some Revolutionary Characters to help bring Boston's history to life at the Old State House. Historical Interpreters wear period-appropriate clothing and take on the persona of an historical figure from the eighteenth century to bring Boston's Revolutionary history to life for some of the 100,000 visitors who come to the Old State House each year. We are seeking outgoing individuals who enjoy working with the public and are excited about the challenges of bringing the past to life for a modern audience.
- Interprets the history of Revolutionary Boston and the Old State House by
initiating engaging and informative, unscripted interactions with visitors and performing scripted scenes;
- Completes interpreter training, demonstrating satisfactory knowledge of Boston history and command of one or more historical characters to be interpreted;
- Develops historical knowledge, command of character, and appropriate communication skills on an ongoing basis throughout employment;
- Wears correctly and maintains reproduction period wardrobe; wardrobe will be provided;
- Through research, experimentation, and evaluation, assists the History
department in continuing to develop an ongoing program for living history interpretation;
- Creates a positive museum-going experience for visitors;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong sense of humor;
- Excellent public speaking and customer service skills;
- Ability to read and analyze diverse historical source materials;
- Strong interest in history, education and/or museum field;
- Acting and improvisation experience helpful but not required;
- Ability to function physically in a multi-story historic building with no elevator.
Scheduling is flexible; weekend, evening, and holiday work may be required. Please note, this is a seasonal position which will run from early May to the beginning of October.
Please email resume, letter of interest, and a head shot or a photo in period costume to Daud Alzayer, Revolutionary Characters Manager. No phone calls or visits, please.