Jobs - Full-Time
Assistant to Director
The Bostonian Society is a non-profit history institution, with an operating budget of over $2 million/year. Since 1881, it has been based at the Old State House, colonial America’s oldest public building and the center of Revolutionary Boston. The Society is currently engaged in the overall reinterpretation and restoration of this important national landmark, focusing on the period of the 18th century when events in Boston changed the world forever.
This position is an assistant to the Director of Finance and Administration. The areas this department is responsible for include: office management, HR, payroll, accounting, IT and some general administrative tasks.
Formal job title: Finance and Administration Associate
1. Accounting clerical support – Primarily accounts payable and transferring data between our two accounting systems. Occasional other tasks.
2. HR support – Payroll paperwork. Also handles paperwork for on-boarding new employees and off-boarding departing ones. Occasional other tasks.
3. Office Manager – In charge of office supplies & office services. Manages office vendor relations.
4. IT support – Administers office Gmail account. Works with our off-site IT consultant as on-site support.
5. Receptionist – In charge of answering general public phone inquiries. In summer, also provides box office support for ticket sales.
6. Board Member support – Handles all paperwork and meeting arrangements for our four quarterly board meetings each year. Also takes minutes at meetings.
7. “Other duties as needed” tend to be special event support, special projects, and occasional assistance for Executive Director.
Main Skills Required:
· A self-starter who will create own projects when workload is light.
· Good people skills, discretion and tact. Ability to work across all departments, and interact with all levels of the organization. Pleasant phone manner.
· Extreme attention to detail. Willing and able to track down that six dollars!
· A high level of comfort with technology and numbers.
· Excellent writing skills. Experience with editing is a plus.
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Strong organizational and administrative ability.
· Time- management skills. Ability to prioritize projects, goals and deadlines.
· Strong computer skills - Windows, Word and Excel required. QuickBooks and Google Apps are a plus.
· Note - no specific accounting experience is required. But a similar type of clerical, data-focused or detailed-work experience is required.
We are willing to consider career switchers and those with unusual career paths. Minimum two years’ work experience.
Full time salaried, Non-Exempt position. Benefits eligible, generous time off package.
General office hours are 9 – 5, Monday through Friday.
The work of this position takes place both in a normal office environment and at a historic site. Some staff offices are located on the third floor of a historic building that is not handicap accessible. Incumbent should be able to carry equipment and supplies up and down stairs and able to lift 20 pounds.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 21st, 2016.
For more information about the Bostonian Society and the Old State House, visit www.bostonhistory.org.
Jobs - Part-Time
There are currently no part-time jobs available.
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
The Bostonian Society operates the Old State House and maintains a library and archives. We rely on the skills and dedication of the volunteers and interns who generously share their enthusiasm and expertise.
If you are interested in volunteering for the Bostonian Society, please fill out and return the application to our volunteer coordinator by email or by mail to 206 Washington Street, Boston, MA, 02109. If you are applying for an internship, please follow the directions outlined in the specific posting. Contact the volunteer coordinator at (617) 720-1713 ext. 10 or by email with any questions.
There are currently no Volunteer and Internship Opportunities.