Hancock Mansion Door Project: The Construction

For part one of this series, click here.

In preparation for an exhibit here in the Old State House, we are partnering with the Preservation Carpentry Program at the North Bennet Street School to recreate the front entrance to John Hancock's long-demolished mansion. The mansion was built in 1737 by John Hancock’s uncle Thomas and demolished in 1863. It stood on Beacon Hill in Boston near the current State House and was demolished in 1863 to make way for two fashionable townhouses. Its demolition and the subsequent outrage precipitated the origin of the Preservation Movement in the United States. It was even cited as one of the justifications for the founding of the Bostonian Society in 1881 and our preservation of the Old State House.

The students of the Preservation Carpentry program are truly artists as well as craftspeople, and the range of techniques they are employing for this project is amazing. From timber framing to detailed carving, we never cease to be amazed at their skill, every time our staff visits their workshop.

The photos and videos below were taken by student Mike Bernier who is working on this project. They show some of the techniques the students are using to reconstruct Hancock's entryway. To keep up to date with all of the amazing work being done at the North Bennet Street School, visit their Instagram here.

We can't wait to see the final result of all of this hard work! Stay tuned for more as this project nears completion!