Jobs - Full-Time
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
The Director of Development (DOD) will join The Bostonian Society at an inflection point in the Society’s history as it prepares to launch a campaign that will fuel the Society’s future direction and further solidify its reputation for excellence. Under new leadership, The Bostonian Society raised $2.2M over the past year in an initial campaign. The DOD will have the full support of the Executive Director and the Board of Trustees to continue this success by developing a high-caliber individual giving engagement program that reflects The Bostonian Society’s, mission, goals, and bold strategic plan.
In these efforts, the DOD will work collaboratively and transparently with the executive team, board members, staff, and volunteers. This person will manage systems and structures for individual gifts planning and decision making, and assist the executive director in driving an ongoing organization-wide conversation about vision, strategy, and goals for development.
The DOD serves in an important leadership role, reporting directly to the Executive Director as a member of the senior leadership team. The incumbent has overall responsibility for a comprehensive program encompassing many existing relationships with donors while driving The Bostonian Society’s donor engagement strategy and moving the entire organization to achieve goals that align with TBS ethos of education, preservation and impact.
With a track record of effective leadership and knowledge of best practices for major giving, including significant personal experience developing pipelines and a track record of management and program building, the DOD will be a creative, ambitious, and dynamic leader with the ability to attract and inspire a dedicated team. They will embrace technological and analytical solutions with a keen sense of what is possible and a level of excellence in communication and collaboration skills, together with a demonstrated propensity for weaving development into organizational values and aspirations.
The successful candidate will bring experience building and sustaining an ambitious major gifts program and creating energy and impact throughout the organization by fostering a culture of fundraising excellence. The Director will carry a portfolio of the top donors and prospects and will also supervise 1-2 development positions.
Key Responsibilities and Qualifications
The successful candidate will be a strategic, creative team leader who is visionary about the Bostonian Society’s fundraising potential and who can support the organization’s vision for philanthropy while maximizing team results. The DOD will have a proven track record in building, managing, and mentoring an effective team, as well as demonstrated success with generating significant funding from individuals, foundations and corporations. They will possess outstanding interpersonal competencies, the ability to effectively engage volunteer leadership, and a deep commitment to instilling best practices and a culture within the development team that reflects The Bostonian Society’s values and goals.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in a successful individual giving program.
- Proven track record in managing individual relationships and securing significant gifts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, presentation skills, and analytical skills.
- Experience with managing and engaging Board-level volunteers.
- Strong management skills with demonstrated success in building, managing, and leading fundraising professionals toward achieving team goals.
- A metrics-driven, entrepreneurial mindset that informs strategy and work.
- The ability to succeed in a distinct and dynamic culture.
- Flexibility, high energy, tenacity.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Development Guild DDI
For more information about Development Guild DDI, please visit www.developmentguild.com
Jobs - Part-Time
(Saturday Shift Required)
Do you love history? Do you love to tell others about history? If so, The Bostonian Society is looking for you! We need enthusiastic people to join our team of Education Associates (EAs) and work directly with visitors at the Old State House, a Freedom Trail museum.
- Love to talk! - EAs will give up to five 20-minute tours during an 8-hour shift. (We will teach you the content!)
- Be a story teller! - EAs give tours on the history of our building and the Boston Massacre. We make complex 18th-century history come alive for 21st-century visitors from all over the world, and go beyond the simple storylines common in public dialogue.
- Be customer service-oriented! - EAs should be friendly, motivated, and committed to providing outstanding customer service and education to all Old State House visitors.
Other duties include:
- Orienting visitors to the museum and answering their questions
- Walking the galleries to monitor the security of our building and collections
- Light daily exhibition maintenance
- Assisting the Education Department with scheduled school groups and adult groups
- Assisting with special projects, including research assistance and new tour development
- Assisting with public programs at the Old State House, such as the annual Boston Massacre Commemoration in March
- Other duties as assigned by the Gallery Supervisor
- Excellent public speaking skills; previous tour-giving experience preferred.
- An interest in history, education, museums or theater a plus.
- Experience in educational environments (formal or informal) desired.
- Ability to function physically in a multi-story historic building with no elevator.
How to apply:
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Application deadline Monday, August 27th.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter that includes:
- Must be available to work on Saturday and one weekday. (List which weekdays you are available.)
- The date you are available to start.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter to:
Katie Drescher, Gallery Manager and Senior Educator
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.
Do you believe we must look to the past so we don’t repeat the same mistakes? Here at RevolutionaryBoston we do, too. As a point where past meets present, we strive to give our Merchandise Associates an environment for growth. We’re a place where ideas are heard and discussed, a place where you can make someone’s day better, a place to join a group of oddballs who value community, diversity and creativity. We think these are some of the most important parts of any job, and are seeking creative thinkers who are hospitable, motivated, ready to learn, and committed to providing outstanding customer service every day.
RevolutionaryBoston is the gift and souvenir wing of the Old State House Museum, which consists of three satellite stores; one in the museum itself and two in nearby Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
As a non-profit the merchandise we sell goes directly towards maintaining and running the Old State House Museum and aids in the continued existence of one of the oldest surviving public buildings in the United States. We aim to educate and illuminate the past to tourists and natives alike, and sell them memories to take on their continued journeys through this thing we call life.
Candidates must be prepared to be on their feet for an eight hour shift, possess some previous cash handling or retail experience, be able to lift up 30 lbs., have some weekend and holiday availability and a flexible schedule (we are willing to work with you).
When applying, please include when you are able to start, desired number of hours you’d like to work and the days and times you are available (we are open from 8:30am to 9:00pm with varying shift hours).
Applicants must include a resume. Send to HR@bostonhistory.org.
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
We currently have no Internship openings. Please check back here for future listings.