The Hancock House door. Wood. Gift of Moses Kimball. The twelve-panel, solid Eastern White Pine door served as the entrance to the Hancock House from 1737-1863. The door became part of the Bostonian Society's collection in 1899. The detailed surround is new, crafted the by the second year Preservation Carpentry class at North Bennet Street School, painstakingly built over 3 months in 2018. Photo: Justin Knight.
The Hancock House keyhole, close-up. Photo: Justin Knight.
Door Knocker. Brass. Gift of Oliver Wendell Holmes. Photo: Justin Knight.
Hancock House. Oil on board. No date. Gift of Mrs. Frances E. Bacon (Louisa Crowninshield).
Notice of auction of materials from the old Hancock House, 1863. Paper, ink. Photo by Justin Knight.
Fire Screen, Park Street Church and Beacon Hill. Boston, 1815. Oil on Wood. Gift of Grenville H. Norcross. The Hancock House sits in the background next to the Massachusetts State House, which was built on former Hancock pasture land. Park Street Church is at the front. Photo: Justin Knight.
Cups and Vases, wood from Hancock House. Gift of Henry F. Jenks; Gift of Walter L. Sawyer. Photo: Justin Knight.
Quilt of Dorothy Hancock. Silk, lined in cotton. Gift of Mrs. Frank E. Peabody.
Bible, Hancock Family. 1721. Leather, paper. Gift of Franklin Hancock. Photo: Justin Knight.
Decorative Cup from the Hancock House. c 17th century. Silver, coconut shell.Donated by a descendant of housekeeper Mrs. Elizabeth Brackett, who received them from Dolly Hancock as gifts for her service in the house. Photo: Justin Knight.
Snuff box from the Hancock House. Ceramic. Gifts of George O. Carpenter. Donated by a descendant of housekeeper Mrs. Elizabeth Brackett, who received them from Dolly Hancock as gifts for her service in the house. Photo: Justin Knight.
Tea Kettle from the Hancock Home. 18th century. Copper. Gift of Franklin Hancock. Photo: Justin Knight.
THE BOSTONIAN SOCIETY
Old State House 206 Washington Street Boston, MA 02109-1773